Our World

Our World

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Be Kind To Yourself, Simplify And Use That Crockpot!

Last month before Thanksgiving I had gotten really sick and it took weeks to get well enough to even do the easiest task at hand.  It was rough for me to say the least as I am not one who can just simply sit still.  Well, little did I know that this was going to change things for me and see things in a different light.  I think it is a wonderful thing how our Father in Heaven can help direct and guide us in any situation with the help from the Holy Spirit.  We just have to listen to that still, small voice.

I am so thankful for the opportunity that my family and I had to just slow down...alright really slow down!  I have found myself enjoy having less things go on and truly be in our HOME.  As you know we are a homeschooling family and as I was working on our 6 Month "No" again I decided that this upcoming semester we will not be doing any outside classes.  Just a monthly park day and a few other homeschooling meet ups.  It's not that they aren't fun or that my children did not enjoy them but that it truly did take a lot of time away from what I know we are in need of right now and I have seen a huge change these past few weeks.  No feeling rushed and needing to stop a project or learning activity because we need to hurry up to get to the next destination.  With knowing of these minor but crucial changes for my children and I during the day I knew that I wanted to be better prepared having everything we needed for all that I wanted incorporated at home.  Let's just say that I am very excited to start a few fun little classes with music and art with my children in our home.  That means our dog Blue get's to join in and he loves when we are reading and learning!  It makes him happy!

One thing that is in need of a change is our family dinner time.  It's more like the preparation that comes before the gathering at the table to eat the meal as a family.  I really want it to feel like I have been in the kitchen all day  but without the being in the kitchen all day for one meal.  I am trying to have less snacks in our home aside from fruits and vegetables, nuts and a few other things which means that I really want my children to eat more during our meal times.  Since dinner is our last meal of the day I must make sure that they eat enough and are full so I do not hear how one is hungry two hours later before getting ready for bedtime.

I LOVE my crockpot!  Well, I have one big crockpot and one small crockpot.  I need one more big crockpot now.  I have always liked the idea of having one crockpot meal each week but something came to me when I was figuring out the simplifying of our home.  Why not three days a week or more if need be?  This can go for using crockpots for the entire meal, the main dish, sides and more. It truly is up to you.  As for me, it is just something that will continue to make my life easier so why not use it more!?!

For Christmas Eve we had a rotisserie style whole chicken that I cooked in my crockpot!  Say what?! That's right.  My crockpot.  I had seen it before but had not tried it out for myself until now.  I make baked potatoes in my crockpot and other dishes so it was a great time to try it out.  Super simple and easy but very delicious and looked like I put in way more effort than I actually did.


Prep your whole chicken like normal taking the gizzards out and cleaning it, then choose your seasonings.  Whisk your seasonings together to make your rub.  After you put the rub on your chicken in the crockpot it goes on high for 4 to 6 hours depending on the size of your chicken.  What I did after it was cooked through was place it in the oven to broil for less than 10 minutes to give the skin that crispiness we like.  That's it.
It was moist and delicious!  You can do this weekly which is what I plan on doing as you can get a whole chicken for a great price a lot of the time and use different rubs depending on what you plan to do with the chicken.  This is great to do if you want to use the meat for enchiladas, chicken salad and so much more.  The wonderful thing is that you do not need to do much at all to make this.  The same goes for making baked potatoes, mashed potatoes and so much more in your crockpot.

I encourage you to use your crockpot more if this will help you to feel a little more peace when thinking what's for dinner.  Just a little preparation and the possibilities are endless for us all!

I will be sharing more crockpot ideas with you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment